Wednesday, April 22, 2009

what to do...

Last year I found an accredited online Graduate program for Art Therapy. I kind of put in the back-burner of my mind, but recently I have found myself wondering if I am taking the right direction with my career. Becoming an LPC is still something I would like to do, but I have always wanted to be an Art Therapist. Art is something I truly enjoy, and I believe I am good at it. Why not use my talent to help people. I stopped doing it as an undergrad because the art projects were so instense every week that art became work and not fun anymore. As a graduate student it is not about doing the art project yourself, but being able to assess and help other use those medias therapeutically. Very interesting dont you think? The best part about this program is it is online, specifically designed for those who don't have an accredited institution for art therapy nearby or those who can't take extended time off for school. Perfect! It is a 48 hour program instead of 60 and after I graduate I will need 1500 paid supervised hours of direct client counseling and then I can take an exam and be a certified art therapist or an ATR-CB. Then I can do private practice, contract with hospitals or schools, the sky is the limit. The money is not bad either. Something to think about for sure! But how to I decide. It is risky!

Also, my mom's flip house is for sale and I we have ran the numbers and I can actually buy her house. It is such a cute house and perfect for a started home. I am seriously tempted to buy it. Why throw away my money when I can invest it. Again risky.

The question is, do I want to transfer schools and/or move towns? I have been here before and my answer then was yes, and it was the best decision I have made yet. Now I feel as though I am placed in a similar situation. But this time, living where I am is not that bad. My school is excellent, and my job is decent and my apt is awesome. My family is not there which is really hard. My best friend will be leaving in Dec for nursing school in Nashville most likely. So then I think, what does Chatt have that Nashville doesnt? Lookout mt and the aquarium? haha. Oh decisions... I am not prepared to make any decisions yet that is for sure, I continue to pray God leads me in the direction HE wants me to go. Are these desires in my heart for a reason, or are they just distractions? Only time will tell I guess.....

For now, Chattanooga is where I am meant to be. I am very blessed for what God has given me and am thankful for all the friends I have here. If there is one thing I have learned and taken to heart through my job, having supports whether it be family or close friends is incredibly important for one's individual well-being. Seriously. Everyone needs support in some for or fashion, and I feel for those who do no have supports. Christians are the ones specifically that should take care of that. Why else would be be called to take care of the widows and the orphans.. they do not have family supports! duh!

Oh I could go on forever.... I need to go to bed.. I have a really long day ahead of me. bleh!

No comments: