Friday, November 9, 2007

A means to an ends...

So I have been contemplating changing my major for a while now. I honestly feel that changing is what I want to do. I had to get advised this week and had planned on talking with my current advisor about my options and what he thought would be best. Well, I was in there like 10 minutes and people kept coming in and asking him questions and then two girls came in and wanted to meet with him about their thesis papers and he said we were finished and asked if I needed anything else, and I was like Are you SERIOUS!? Im not going to try and talk to you about my life when there are two girls waiting in the room for you!!! So I said no and walked out. So great that was no help at all! I was really disappointed that my time I waited for all week was cut short by others who just walked in!

I have been doing a lot of research on different majors and Interdisciplinary seems the best way to go. Psychology will of course be one concentration, but I am looking into Human Ecology Child and Family Studies or seeing if I can get permission to take 6000 and 7000 level classes of Educational Psychology as my other concentration. Several of my current teachers teach some of the counseling classes I would take if I got permission and plus its all about counseling and group therapy, EXACTLY what I want to study!!! If I can get permission for that I will definitely do it! But I will just have to see. What I hate is I know I want to help people whether its counseling at Youth Villages for example, at a school, from home, or in a rehab center, BUT I have no idea what the best way to get there is. A Psychology major is just not for me. I am not hard core enough. I like learning new things but I dont like school. I like being around people too much and I day dream. I know I am smart and as much as I would like to prove that to people on paper and in my GPA or test scores I have come to terms with the fact that I just will never be on top scholastically. NOT because I am not smart enough but because deep down I dont have the desire. I care about my relationships with people and people in general. Making the best grade in my class is not what is important in life. My relationship with God and others will always come first. I am going to meet with the Interdisciplinary advisor Monday to talk with her about getting permission and making sure I can still graduate on time and then I will go from there.

I just pray that God will lead me in the right direction and that I make the best choice according to His will and not my own. So anyway, I guess that is what is going on right now. I am so ready for Thanksgiving as are all my friends. We are in need of a break! And I am ready to be home for a while to regroup!!! Hope everyone is well!!!! I think Christmas comes earlier every year!

No comments: